We eat Mexican pretty regularly around here. As a matter of fact, it’s guaranteed to be on the menu at least once a week. Sometimes even more than that. I love burritos, fajitas, cilantro lime rice, pico de gallo, chips and salsa, etc. What’s not to like?
I used to always buy those packages of seasoned spanish rice or mexican rice. I was never satisfied with how they tasted. As a matter of fact, for the longest time I just didn’t like spanish rice at all. Well, that was until I tried this. I haven’t looked back since. It is super easy to make with your rice cooker. It is absolutely delicious. We use it a lot as a side dish, as well as inside our burritos. So good.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped fine)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Add the olive oil, onion & garlic to your rice maker.
- Press the saute button.
- Using a long handed spoon stir ingredients frequently and saute for about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add remaining ingredients (minus rice) to the rice maker. Stir well.
- Then add in rice and stir.
- Now choose the white rice setting on your rice cooker and allow it to cook.
- Once the rice is finished, the cooker should automatically switch to the "keep-warm" mode.
If you don’t have a rice cooker, get one. It will make life so much easier and your rice will be perfect every time. It has become one of my favorite kitchen appliances! Here is the one that I have and highly recommend.