Pumpkin Cookies with Caramel Icing are a favorite cookie of my childhood. They are a soft pillow like cookie with this delicious sweet caramel icing. How can you ever go wrong with that?
This recipe comes from my mom. She has made these since I was a little girl. Even before I ever “liked” pumpkin, I loved these cookies. Lately, I seem to be drawn to old family recipes or things that I remember my mom baking when I was younger. I blame it on turning 40 a few weeks ago!
The icing on these is incredible and good on so many different things. I will be showing you just how versatile it is on some future recipes!
- 1 c. shortening
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 4 tsp milk
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- Cream the shortening, sugar, and pumpkin.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Drop from a spoon onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks and enjoy.
- In a medium sauce pan, cook butter, milk, and brown sugar until mixed well and dissolved.
- Cool and add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Spread icing on warm cookies.