I have so many memories of grabbing White Castle Cheeseburgers when we would go to Nashville to visit family or whenever we would pass one on the road during a trip. They are now a big favorite with my family. Whenever the kids see a White Castle, they always want to stop. Where we live, we have Krystal. It’s very similar but not the same.
One day I went on a quest to try my hand at making some of my own here at home. I loaded up trusty Google and found quite a few recipes. Some called for bread crumbs, others for peanut butter. Yep, you heard that right.
I made up my own little recipe using a combination of several that I found online and they are perfect! The boys gobble these right up!
Please excuse the pictures but it was after dark when I made these and we were all starving, so I just grabbed a couple quick pictures to get these on here for you guys. I will update the pictures later.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pkt. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- ¼ cup rehydrated minced onion flakes
- 8 slices American Cheese
- 12 Sara Lee (or similar) dinner rolls
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray a large lipped cookie sheet with cookie spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef and onion soup mix.
- Gently press the ground beef onto the cookie sheet. It should make a nice thin layer over the entire sheet.
- Sprinkle the minced onion over the meat and pat down.
- Bake in the oven to 20 minutes. The meat will shrink up and pull away from the edges. You'll end up with about ¾ of a pan of meat.
- When done, remove from the oven and soak the undersides of your buns in the excess grease in the pan. This is what makes them taste even more authentic!
- Now top the meat evenly with American Cheese slices and cook for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for just a couple minutes before using a pizza cutter to cut into patties.
- Now put your patties on your hamburger buns and serve!
- Optional: You can add condiments of your choosing. pickles, ketchup and mustard are standard on the real White Castle burgers.
What is your favorite fast food burger place?? Besides White Castle, I like Wendy’s, Sonic and Five Guys. Yum!