Today we are talking about one of my favorite breakfast muffins – Banana Streusel Muffins. Well, they are great anytime muffins actually.
It has been crazy town around here lately. This is my daughter’s birthday week. We make a BIG DEAL about birthdays around here. I always joke with the kids that I have birthday week for my birthday. It is more of a strategy to get the kids to mind me better and get along with each other better just for mom. Well, my daughter has picked up on this idea and declared that this was her BIRTHDAY WEEK and boy has it worn us all out! She has something planned out for every day. It’s cute though so I don’t mind. She turned the big ELEVEN officially yesterday but the celebrating is far from over.
She requested a cookie cake from the Great American Cookie store this year instead of the traditional cake. We enjoyed it last night and it was so yummy. I have to say that they did an amazing job in decorating it exactly the way I had requested. It was perfect! Saturday is her skating party with her friends. Her dad said that we are getting on skates too. This should be interesting. I was a really great skater back when I was her age, but that was a LONG time ago. We actually took Logan skating when he was little (12 years ago) and we weren’t too steady then. Let’s hope I don’t fall and break a hip or something. I mean I am FORTY now. Sigh… Then Sunday, she planned a family dinner with all of us and her grandparents at Olive Garden. That will be followed up with her favorite dessert of Tiramisu. I told you she was spreading it all out!! It’s all good though. Birthdays are very special and should be celebrated well!
Back to the muffins…
I love banana muffins, bread, pancakes, you name it. What really makes these is the streusel topping though. It just takes them to a whole new level. Yum!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ c. butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat your oven to 375°. Line 10 muffin cups with muffin liners or lightly grease muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combin 1½ cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and the cinnamon.
- In another bowl, beat the bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla and melted butter.
- Add the banana mixture into the flour mixture. Blend just until moistened.
- Fill the muffin cups ⅔ full with the mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon from the streusel ingredients.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture is the consistency of coarse cornmeal.
- Sprinkle the topping over your muffins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the center of muffin comes out clean when inserting a toothpick into the middle.
Adapted from All Recipes.